My Proposal: Special Olympics of Raleigh/Sports

PART ONE

From the moment I was able, the area of sports and exercise is one that I have personally identified with and been a part of. These areas remain a paramount part of my life today, and I have chosen them to learn more about and potentially serve for this Service Action Proposal. From the time I can remember, my family and I have been involved in athletics. Whether it was fall soccer, winter basketball, or spring baseball, the time I spent on a sports team was vital to my upbringing and something I enjoyed beyond measure. Continuing this passion into my teenage years, I became fascinated with the world of sports; I could not get enough! From watching key matchups, to reading articles, to staying active myself on school sports teams and maintaining fitness during the offseason, sports and athletics became something I could call my own. This love for sports was even pushed forward in a couple of ways; I maintained a healthy competitiveness with my older brother, my family was supportive and just as in love with sports as I was, and athletics allowed me to grow as a man and as a competitor. Through this continued love of sports, I hope to be able to spread the same joy I receive each and every day to those less fortunate and those that might not be able to have access to it, as well as making a difference and hoping every child can be impacted by sports like I am each and every day.

In the world of sports, participation and inclusion remain areas that need large improvement. According to an US Bureau of Labor 2015 stat, only 25.9% of Americans ages 15-24 have sports or exercise as a part of their normal day. In my opinion, these numbers are weak and need attention! Also, inclusion remains a setback in the area of sports. Sports can become more diverse, welcoming, and attainable to all, no matter the circumstances.

In connection to my first and second reflections, I believe I can apply many of the things I talked about to this assignment. First, when mentioning leadership, I stated that it involved “elevating” others, “working toward a common goal”, and being “filled with teamwork and enthusiasm”. All of these phrases constitute the majority of sport and my goal when it comes to impacting the world of athletics. In sports, you must elevate your teammates, work toward a common goal (basket, goals, points, a win), while keeping teamwork and enthusiasm at the forefront. In my second reflection, focused on service, I stated that service involved giving of yourself, whether your time or abilities, “without the expectation of payment” and most certainly while working “with and for those with diverging characteristics” and for a “purposeful and meaningful action”. Those currently involved in sports service will certainly mention the wide variety of people in the field and the life-changing action it can arise. The importance of teaching the life lessons sports maintains is crucial business; business many can hope to take, mold in their own way, and use to impact the local community and surrounding area. Sports, and service in sports, have the incredible power to unite, strengthen, and embolden all who participate.

PART TWO

In the world of sports, there is certainly not a lack of committed organizations dedicated to bringing the world of athletics to those not able to enjoy it or those less fortunate. Therefore, in choosing a community partner/organization to interview for the second part of this assignment, there were many options to consider, but I finally settled on working with a nationally-known but locally-branched organization, Special Olympics North Carolina. In contacting the Morrisville branch, I was able to communicate with the Youth Initiatives Director, Allie Stockburger. Throughout the interview process, I was able to get a sense of the mission, values, goals, and opportunities that form the basis of a large, but still homegrown and local partner that puts an emphasis on providing sports avenues for those with intellectual disabilities.

The mission of Special Olympics North Carolina is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in an Olympic-sport style to children and adults with intellectual disabilities, in order to develop their fitness, grow courage, experience joy, and work with their families and the community. Although a national organization, Special Olympics NC has over 40,000 registered athletes, five statewide offices, and over 100 local programs and branches throughout NC communities in order to assist and work with their wide range of athletes. The state organization has a voluntary Board of Directors that maintains a president/CEO (currently Keith Fishborne). While there are 24 Special Olympics North Carolina staff members across the state, the organization’s 30,000+ volunteers do the bulk of the ground work. Large goals and coordinating activities are planned and allocated by the Board and CEO, but the execution and athletics themselves would not be possible without volunteers and coordinators.

Along with weekly practices and frequent competitions put on by Special Olympics North Carolina in the local branches, schools are also key for the organization. Unified Champions Schools facilitate sports, provide community and classroom experiences, and engage students with those having intellectual disabilities. NC State is even part of this, maintaining a Special Olympics College Club and participating in North Carolina events. Other key work includes a Law Enforcement Torch Run, the Raleigh Summer Games, and the Inclusive Health Program, which provides examinations, health screening and information to its members, helping Special Olympics become the largest public health organization dedicated to serving people with intellectual disabilities.

In the future, Special Olympics hopes to improve opportunities for their athletes. This means strengthening programs and backing this up by keeping tabs and even enhancing the health of all the athletes in Special Olympics NC. Along with the goal of strengthening programs, Special Olympics NC hopes to work toward building more positive attitudes toward those with intellectual disabilities. Awareness and inclusion are large issues in the community toward those with intellectual disabilities, and the organization has a mission to make sure all people, no matter the challenges they face, are treated equally and fairly.

Overall, using the Relational Leadership Model to gauge the effectiveness of Special Olympics North Carolina, one can easily see that all aspects are being touched upon. Inclusion is mentioned as an ongoing process, that seeks to involve the entire community and their perception on those with intellectual disabilities but is also demonstrated in the fact that the partner welcomes all athletes and all volunteers willing to make a difference. The sports the organization provides and assists in empowers athletes, providing them joy and experiences they would not rather have. The organization also puts ethics at the forefront, making sure strong leadership pursues activities that will positively affect the athletes, and allowing a volunteer board to make their large decisions, putting more emphasis on local participation and those that truly want to be there. Special Olympics NC also demonstrates purposeful action, in that their mission remains their center driving force. They want to make sure athletes are cared for, experience joy, improve their health and fitness, and gain exposure to the powerful world of sport. Lastly, the organization proves its commitment to the last component of the model, process, through its decision making. Large decisions are made by the board and CEO, and carried to the branches, where the process is carried out by the staff and volunteers in order to impact the athletes. Programs and sports are organized, meaningful, and consistent.

Overall, Special Olympics North Carolina remains dedicated to providing life-changing sports experiences to its athletes who may not have the privilege to play sports anywhere else. The organization provides a positive and uplifting refuge to many who may be judged by those in the world, exposing them to the life-altering world of athletics, instilling courage and joy and making a true impact in the lives of those with intellectual disabilities.

PART THREE

While the NC State community remains involved in the work of Special Olympics North Carolina, my proposal for service action is grounded in the needs of the organization to strengthen its sports programming, expand its reach, and remain committed toward improving athlete’s health and fitness. Throughout this third portion of my Service Action Proposal, I will be explaining my plan to create “Tuffy’s Olympics”, an NC State and Special Olympics joint day of sports, learning, and health for the athletes of the organization and the community of Raleigh, and explaining how my plan for the event works around and demonstrates all aspects of the Relational Leadership Model.

This assignment seeks to teach SLC students about the necessity of community partners and the work they provide in making an impact in the area and improving the lives of those they seek to reach, the poor, sick, disabled, or anyone in need. In my activity, appropriately titled “Tuffy’s Olympics”, Special Olympics NC athletes from across the state will be invited to the university in order to play, be healthy, engage with the community, and spread joy. Athletes will team up into groups and throughout the day compete in sports activities, such as a swimming event in Carmichael pool, basketball competition at PNC arena, kickball and football at Carter-Finley stadium, and dodgeball in Reynolds Coliseum. Volunteers from the organization, along with NC State students, ILV members, other club members, and particularly NC State sports teams will help the sports run smoothly with the athletes, teaching them, playing along, and being teammates. After a day of sports, athletes, volunteers, and any NC State community members will be invited back to Talley Student Union for free health screenings, healthy refreshments and snacks, and a session on the importance of inclusion toward those with intellectual disabilities and a talk from Special Olympics staff on the vital nature of their work and what they do. During this process, ethics will be represented because we will be looking out for the best interests of the athletes and working alongside the values of the Special Olympics and NC State, inclusion will be practiced through the information session and accepting all those athletes and volunteers which support the goals and aspirations of the day. Lastly, we will practice empowerment by encouraging and supporting the athletes, giving them joy and a place in the community. I believe this plan will touch upon the two main needs that my interviewee touched upon, as well as providing the community of NC State to engage and learn more about inclusion, health, and what the organization provides. These goals, along with my thoughts upon the life-changing effects of sports on all ages, will allow the athletes of Special Olympics NC to enjoy a day of fun and athletic activity that is sure to be a great time.

Lastly, I will touch upon this assignment in the form of a personal reflection. Overall, I was very impressed with the thoroughness of this assignment and the need to really think about the impact that an organization has upon its affected individuals and the community. The Service Action Proposal not only allows you explore avenues of interest (sports), but allows you to get in touch with a wide array of partners that are doing an extremely large amount of good for many people, and learn about their mission, current work, and future aspirations. The opportunity to become more informed about Special Olympics was a unique experience, and honestly made me regret not working with our local high school branch and attending the games at Elon University, near my hometown. Special Olympics is a national organization, but its commitment to consistent and impactful local development in the lives of those with intellectual disabilities is powerful. I hope that in the future, I can work with the NC State club that currently exists and bring sports to more kids. I was also surprised at the in-depth reflection this proposal allowed me to pursue; in planning and writing about my proposal, combining a fun and engaging experience while demonstrating key aspects of the Relational Leadership Model was a challenge, but I wanted to create an activity that incorporated many different people, areas, and touched upon all the needs that the organization displayed in their interview.

While this assignment challenged me during reflection, the proposal also allowed me to learn about the area of sports and some of the challenges it faces for the future. Focusing on sports as a whole, the field can always increase the amount of children and adults that exercise and play on a consistent basis. In my opinion, the 21st century society will live in allows children to become glued to technology, and this is contributing to the obesity problem this nation currently is faced with. Increasing the amount of children that play will improve health and wellness, mental fitness, and instill great values and principles. Secondly, the issue of inclusion faces the sports community. Many at the top of the field are still not welcoming to some minorities, or those that act or look different to them. Athletics should be accessible to all individuals, no matter their race, gender, or any other definable characteristic. In my proposed project, the idea of involvement and broad-spectrum activities was put at the forefront. In order for this project to be a success in the NC State community, dedicated volunteers are needed for transportation, programming, health screening, food and drink, and just care for the athletes. The smooth sailing of the logistics and the commitment of all parties to focusing their attention on the health and well-being of the Special Olympics athletes is crucial in making this a fun and enjoyable day for all. Projects like these fail when there are not enough volunteers, all parties are not committed, and the attitude of those involved is not at the adequate level. If in charge of implementing this project, I would first push for as many volunteers as possible. Offering community-service hours, free food and drink, and an enjoyable day working with great kids, the volunteers would be divided into areas of need. NC State sports teams would need to be contacted, facilities reserved, and physicians located. The scale of this project is very large, but having a large crew and remaining organized are key facets.

Lastly, there are a few takeaways from this assignment that I believe are crucial and impactful in my own life, and the lives of all those in the village. Using this assignment, we can create opportunities for service in our areas of interest and potentially create partnerships for future volunteering or even employment. This work, in topics and fields that we are passionate about, has the potential to change lives for the better. In my opinion, if each child were to experience the joy and life-giving comfort that I experience when play sports, they would be changed for the better. Learning about the mission and goals of Special Olympics North Carolina gave me a new perspective on a committed organization that truly puts other people before itself, something that each and every one of us can learn from.