Self-Reflection 2

What does community service mean to you?

The action of giving one’s time and abilities to help and improve others can become one of the most valuable human activities in our world. When I think of service, a definition of denying yourself and the comforts of security, stepping outside of pleasure and self-indulging, and working and giving. This work and give to others, those you may know very well, or not know at all, might be the giving of time to build a shelter or cook a meal, giving money to causes you support, or using physical talent or ability without the expectation of payment. In this way, I have always followed the example and words of Jesus, who preaches that Christians should be the “hands and feet of God” and even look to the story of Jesus washing his disciples’ feet at the Last Supper. I can remember a sermon I was taught long ago, of this sacrifice Jesus made toward his disciples. A lowly and servant-like act, washing the feet of those who followed his teaching shocked and astounding the 12 men who called him teacher and Rabbi. During my time in high school through community work, I have always used Jesus’s act as a guiding principle, to serve others who are less fortunate or cannot help themselves as if I was washing their feet.

What is the relationship between relational leadership and service?

In my opinion, the idea of service touches on each of the five characteristics of the relational leadership model, but especially relies on three of the principles; becoming inclusive, empowering, and purposeful. The first principle relates to the mindset one must have when approaching service. During the course of your time serving others, one will certainly encounter those who may look, act, speak, and believe differently, and it is important to realize that serving requires working with and for those with divergent characteristics. It is essential to become accepting toward and willing to work with those who have these different ideals. Next, during the course of service, workers will certainly encounter those who may be suffering, lack resources, or just need help. Empowering, whether mentally or physically, is valuable when lifting other up while serving, so that those around you can be filled up and nurtured. Lastly, service must follow a purposeful and meaningful action. Community service must not be done just for the acquired hours, or because it may fit well for a job application, or even because it is the right thing to do. Service must have the right attitude, to help and provide for others.

How does service connect to your purpose as a leader?

During my first reflection piece, I stated that I believed the goal of a leader was to not only propel him or herself forward, but to elevate all those around him, finding their niches and working toward a common, positive goal as a team. A leader should not just strive for personal aspirations but work to attain a goal that challenges and improves all members. In this way, service can be an act that a leader strives for, putting those on his/her team first and attending to their needs. As well as serving the people who work under them, leaders actively serve the community who put them in charge, in a way a senator serves his district and his constituents. Responsible for listening to their needs, striving for improvement in the area, and representing all the people as an example and projection of the area, a leader serves the best interest of the area and pushes for ideas and plans that benefit and do the most good for the most people.

About what areas of community service are you most passionate about?

As a college student today, I can easily sum up my two passions- Jesus and sports. During my time in high school and in the future of college, service and action in community has and will continue to revolve around these two avenues of passion. As a Christian, I believe it is my duty to spread Jesus’s name and be an example of his love. During my high school years, for example, I served as a middle school media and games volunteer on Sunday and Wednesday at my church. Secondly, as a lover of anything athletic and sport-related, I can easily relate, enjoy, and help improve others through athletics. Whether helping a team or event or refereeing, I love to serve and become involved in areas that allow me to enjoy my time and do what I love most.

What kinds of efforts are currently taking place in the community around your areas of passion?

The world of Christianity, as well as athletics, are very engaged and motivated. During my time on campus, I can see that NC State values these two areas and I have already become involved in efforts in service in one area and hope to in the other. The largest student organization on campus, Cru, is one that I have wanted to become involved in ever since my brother, a current senior at NC State, has joined. Cru is active in campus recruitment, leadership through bible studies, and serving the community. During my first month at State, I have attended weekly meetings and small group bible study, as well as a Fall Retreat, and will continue to get more involved in spreading Jesus’s name throughout NC State and creating meaningful service-based relationships. Cru even has outreach and missionary programs in the summer I could get involved in, as well as mentoring and discipleship programs. Community service opportunities are also certainly available in my other passion area, sports, through volunteering on teams, clinic and training work, volunteering at games, and even working at the YMCA or through NC State Wellness and Recreation if pursued. Hopefully, my college schedule will allow me to pursue these opportunities to use my love of athletics and impact the lives of those less fortunate or those that cannot.